How To Apply For Idaho Food Stamps
View the information below if you are interested in applying for food stamps in Idaho. It is important that you have all the documentation and information needed so the application process is not delayed. If you still have questions or issues about applying for food stamps, known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), then you can call the Idaho SNAP hotline at 877-456-1233. The department that handles this program is called the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.
The Idaho Food Stamp Program helps low-income families buy the food they need in order to stay healthy. An eligible family receives an Idaho Quest Card, which is used in card scanners at the grocery store. The card uses money from a food stamp account set up for the eligible family to pay for food items.
Apply for Idaho Food Assistance
You can apply for food assistance with just your name, address, and signature on their Application for Assistance. This will get you started, but they still need you to provide the rest of the information on the application before they can determine if you are eligible to receive food assistance. If you need food assistance immediately, and are eligible, they can provide benefits within 7 days. You must meet certain criteria in order to qualify for the expedited services.
Idaho food stamps eligibility requirements
In order to receive food assistance, certain eligibility requirements must be met in areas such as:
- You must be a citizen or legal immigrant
- You must be a resident of the State of Idaho
- Your household income must be less than the program income limits for your household size
- With some exceptions, you must work or participate in an employment and training program
To find out whether you could be eligible for food stamps, check out this pre-screening tool, use only as a guide and not as a final determination. For most households, resources must be under $5,000 to qualify for food stamps. Resources include, but are not limited to:
- Bank accounts
- Stocks and bonds
- Real property
- Household vehicles
- Recreational vehicles
Household vehicles might be excluded based on usage and other factors. If you own vehicles that you think may disqualify you, they encourage you to come into one of their offices and speak with a Self Reliance Specialist to determine if you are eligible.
The amount of Food Stamps you get, also called benefit amount, depends on a variety of cirumstances such as, the number of people in your household, your income, and other factors. Generally, the larger the household size or the lower the income, the higher the benefit amount.
Maximum Monthly Income Limits
|Household Size||Gross Income|
|Each additional member||+$453|
Apply for Idaho food stamps at local office
When applying you will need to find your local office. Once you find the office, you will then need to bring copies of the following:
- Your immigration status (if not a US citizen)
- Copy of your Resident Alien Card (front and back)
- Copy of a residency document issued by the Department of Homeland Security
- Copy of paycheck stubs for the most recent 30 days
- Work Verification form signed by your employer
- Copy of your most recent tax forms, if self-employed (include all schedule forms)
- Completed Self-Employment Verification form
- Copy of statements or documents for income not earned from employment (veterans benefits, out of state unemployment, retirement income, workers compensation)
- Statement or printout from Child Support agency
- Signed statement from the person receiving child support payments
- Copy of bank statements for the most recent 30 days
- Printouts from your bank (should include your name, account number, and balance)
- Copy of statements or other documents that prove the amount you owe on any vehicles
- Printouts or statements that show current value of stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit, trust accounts, etc.
- Child Support Expenses
- Copy of paycheck stubs that show child support payments withheld
- Copy of court documents showing the amount you are legally required to pay
- Signed statement from the person receiving the child support payments
- Copy of a statement showing the past 3 months income from the Child Support agency, if not paid through Idaho
- Child Care Expenses
- Dependent Care Charges form completed by the child care provider
- Statement from your child care provider
When you come to a local field office they will need to complete an interview with you. From there, they will then need to verify your situation and information by using any information you bring or contacting appropriate parties on your behalf. If additional information is needed about your situation, they will give you a list of things to mail to them. They will also provide you with a notice telling you what benefits you qualify for, how much of a benefit you qualify for, and when to expect your benefits, if they have everything to finish processing your application.
Apply for Idaho food stamps by mail
When applying for food stamps by mail you will first need to print out the food stamp application. To download the form needed, click here. You will also need to send copies of the documents outlined above for when you are applying at a local office. Once you have all the necessary documents/information, please mail the information to:
Self Reliance Programs
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0026
When you mail, fax, or apply electronically: they will mail you an interview appointment letter if one is needed. They will then complete an interview with you over the phone. From there they will verify your situation and information by using any information you send, contacting appropriate parties on your behalf, or giving you a list of things to mail back to them. They will mail you a notice telling you what benefits you qualify for, how much of a benefit you qualify for, and when to expect your benefits.
If you want to fax your application in, then follow the same process as mailing your application, but instead of mailing it in you would fax it to 866-434-8278 toll free.